In January 2010 I wrote a list of the best free online New Zealand directories. It’s time to update this list.
Some of the business directories I originally listed have disappeared, been abandoned, started charging, or became too complicated to work with.
List of The Best FREE Online NZ Directories (In Priority Order):
- Dmoz.org (New Zealand)
- Worldwide directory actually, but has 2-thumbs-up from Google, so put a link to your website here first (and it can take ages before it is approved so you might as well start the process now)
- NZS.com (“New Zealand Search”)
- Really good quality. Great looking graphics. Good profile pages.
- Impressive presence in Google.co.nz for a variety of searches.
- Very cool map-based business directory.
- Google Local Business Centre
- After your free Finda listing has placed a marker on Google Maps for you, “claim” your business using Google LBC and add more details about your business
- Global directory, with dedicated subdomains to New Zealand cities. Free text in the description field, you can add hyperlinks (this is rare)
- “In growing stages, clean/sharp graphics, up to date functions. Promising” – [Thanks to James for his review]
- Fast response to email support. “I like their layouts; professional, functional, clean and simple” – [Thanks to Kala for her review]
Criteria For The Best NZ Directories:
To get on the official list above, the directory must meet most of these criteria:
- Does Google like it?
- Does the directory often appear in Google.co.nz Search Engine Results for a variety of NZ searches?
- How good are the directories own Search Engine Rankings?
- What SEO techniques does the directory use?
- Is the process of adding my website to the directory easy, intuitive and quick?
- Will it provide a clean hyperlink to my website?
- “No-follow” hyperlinks are of little use to us
- Redirection “tracker” hyperlinks are not as good
- Is the website approval time short?
- Are the other websites in the directory high quality? (Eg, have the webmasters let spammy websites through?)
- Can I specify my own anchor text for my hyperlink?